- 20 chopped fresh mussels
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp Esk Valley + Wild Fennel Co. mustard – onion – tarragon seasoning
- Oil for shallow frying
- Bread and butter
- Lemon wedges
Make a thick batter by whisking the egg, self-raising flour and Esk Valley + Wild Fennel Co. mustard – onion – tarragon seasoning. If it feels too thick, add a small splash of milk to loosen it up then fold in the chopped mussel so they all have an even coating.
Heat a non-stick pan to a medium to high heat, add oil being careful that it doesn’t start to smoke. Add spoonfuls of the mussel batter and cook until golden brown on both sides.
Serve with a humble slice of buttered bread and finish with a squeeze of lemon.
Best paired with:
- Esk Valley Artisanal Chardonnay
- Esk Valley Artisanal Chenin Blanc
- Esk Valley Estate Chardonnay
- Esk Valley Estate Pinot Gris